Wednesday, November 21, 2018

EASY FOOD SAFETY.... GROW YOUR OWN FOOD





Another day...another food that you can not eat due to food safety issues. Romaine lettuce has just been added to that list. The CDC is now warning that Romaine lettuce is unsafe due to E. Coli bacteria. It is so scary that the food in the grocery store can make you really sick! 

An easy way to combat that fear is to grow your own food! I know it can seem like an hard task, or impossible. But leafy greens such as kale, collards and mixed greens are very easy to grow. All you have to do is put the seed in dirt and let it grow. Watering on time is a very important factor to grow, but on an upcoming blog I will let you in on an super easy way to water that takes little to no time. 

If you don't have a lot of space, just get a large pot add good dirt and the best part is you decide what to grow. You can research what varieties that you love to eat the most and grow them. And when you are growing your own food you don't have to worry about the food safety issues such as E. Coli, you are growing your own local organic product that you will enjoy even more that the store bought greens because you grew it with love. 



One last thing it is important to have great soil! I learned the hard way, by trying to grow carrots. The first batch of carrots I grew I just put them in the dirt in my Pinehurst Neighborhood garden, and let them grow. Let me tell you they didn't do much growing! When I pulled them up they were so small, like the length of a quarter. The second batch of carrots I grew them with Re-soil, which is this amazing compost that has all the things that veggies love. Those carrots grew to a beautiful tasty size about three inches. When I harvested those carrots I literally jumped for joy! I took those carrots home and cooked them up for my new little one and he loved them! 

Growing your own food is such an amazing thing to do for you, your family and for the environment. I encourage everyone to try it out! 




Sending you love, and happiness,


XOXO 

Frolicking Americana

No comments:

Post a Comment