Friday, December 29, 2017

How Clay Can Save The Day





Have you ever wondered what it would be like to cook in clay? In ancient times a lot of cookery was made of clay, but as times have progressed we have moved on to other materials.  My first exposure to clay was when my kind mother bought me a Tagine, they are traditional clay pots from Morocco, with that pot I was able to create some amazing chicken dishes. I found that cooking with clay creates a juicy and tender meat that is hard to recreate with other cooking techniques.  Clay cooking is an easy to cook, every time I've cooked with clay the meal is amazing. 

Clay creates a juicy and flavorful meat that is easy to make and allows others to think your a cooking master. When I'm cooking with clay it reminds me of how women have been cooking since ancient times using the sacred art of cooking with clay. I have two types of clay pots that I use one is a Tagine, and the other is a french clay pot. While cooking with those pots I feel as if I am honoring my heritage of my African and French roots. My best meals have been made using chicken in a clay pot.

Below is a my go to recipe for cooking in clay. 




2-4 Chicken leg quarters
1/2 and onion
4 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons of Marsala spice 
Dash of pepper to season
Dash of salt to season
5 small potatoes
3 oz of water


Place the chicken in a  clay pot
Chop 1/2 of an onion add to the pot
Chop 4 cloves of garlic add to the pot
Chop 5 potatoes into quarters add to the pot
Add seasonings 
Add 3 oz of water 

Cook on 350 for 30-45 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment